Friday, August 26, 2016

Our Rules

In watching other teachers teach, preparing myself mentally for teaching, one thing I noticed was the setting of class rules. Some teachers are more autocratic about it... they set the rules. Others let students collaborate to come up with what they deem to be appropriate. By and large, I decided on the second approach, as this is more their class than it is mine. So I simply grabbed my marker, and stood at the whiteboard, while students called out ideas. As a class, they discussed them, combined some, eradicated others, and then and only then, I added a few of my own. This process took us maybe 15-20 minutes in class, plus a few on my own for typing them up and posting them later. I lie that we kept them simple on the whole, which makes them easier to remember.

You can read our class rules here! CLASS RULES

No comments:

Post a Comment