Saturday, September 24, 2016

Essay Two...

For Essay #2, I asked them to synthesize ideas and concepts from the readings we have done so far, citing at least two sources, one from the text (minimum) and additional sources as needed/desired. The first stage of the essay process I've decided on is a basic proposal:

Using the essay assignment handout, please write a (solid) paragraph explaining what direction you plan to take with this essay. Include which readings you will be working with, your viewpoint on the subject, and a couple of points you hope to make. Turn in via Turnitin before midnight!

The proposals themselves ranged from quite well done to fairly bare bones:


Example One: Very good!
Stereotypes have been a prominent part of culture. Can we reverse our thinking despite the very clear snap judgments made and should we remove all stereotypes, positive and negative? I will be using “The End of Race” (Olson), “Paper Tigers” (Yang), and Blink! by Malcolm Gladwell to analyze this topic. I will be exploring the idea of stereotypes and how one can decide to choose how they are instead of others assuming. I want to cover the way women are viewed in media and how snap judgments can alter entire cultures and individuals. I feel that snap judgments are constantly made whether someone wants to make them or not, whether they want to control them or not, and we all have made snap judgments. I also feel as though we can only eradicate assumptions about people if we stop assuming positive or negative assumptions all together. I also feel that women are seen as objects in media and they are assumed to only serve that purpose. Lastly, I feel that anyone can choose who he or she is and should feel safe in their decision in who they are as a person. 

Example Two: Just passed (spelling errors are in the original proposal)...

As of now I will be writing my essay on “The End of Race” by Steve Olson. I do believe racism can come to an end, but it will not be easy. I am going to answer the questions you have given us and maybe add a few myself. As of right now I am going to use “The End of Race” story for sure, and not yet decided on what other sources I want to bring in, weather it be my own article or something you have given us. 

Next up, rough drafts!

No comments:

Post a Comment