Sunday, November 20, 2016

Essay Three Results

It was actually rather difficult getting some of my students to firmly take a stance for their argumentative essays! Too many of them wanted to take both sides, or not express a strong opinion one way or the other. I commented on probably half the rough drafts that they needed to choose a side, and solidify their arguments. I also mentioned using sources wisely a number of times, and making sure that they followed the assignment.

Most of them managed to pull it off...MOST. There were still a couple of essays that did not have enough sources, or that were a little weak in their arguments. I even had two students fail to turn in anything at all. The problem here is that essay number four will be based off this essay, and if essay three isn't well developed (or developed at all), essay four will be impossible.

I had a few that were really good, that stood out above the rest. One, whose premise I don't agree with at all, said very firmly that transgender students should not be allowed to enroll in a single-sex college. While I may take issue with this, I have to admit that the student who wrote this essay took one of the strongest stances in the class, and used sources well to back it up. It was an argumentative essay, exactly what I had asked for.

I'll post the essay four prompt soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment